Tuesday, April 12, 2011

under the microscope....



view Sarah P... on Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/people/rightleftdesign/

NB: Wonderful images to be found at Sarah's flickr site! 

At my previous post I introduced my Tumblr site Seed Capsules - scroll down to following post... (or click on older post).
What this Tumblr site does so well is archive things I wish to save to view or read later... and although it may appear as an extremely eclectic hotch potch .... this content may often relate to what I may be thinking about in relation to this blog. Many artists are drawn to science at this time...  pursuing art/science research across the expanding disciplines of science.
It is curious that one may not even realise how something being worked on could have any relation to science... but given the spectacular profundity of the macro and micro worlds... its hard not to be  subliminally influenced ... if not directly.

All images here can be found via my tumblr - the text will click through to the source in most cases. All comments here are from the sites where they were first posted!


ohscience:

bacteria colony


ohscience:  bacteria colony


amy-119:

It’s slightly disturbing how much I like microbiology. I mean, look at all the petri dishes! So cool! /nerdery


amy-119: It’s slightly disturbing how much I like microbiology. 
I mean, look at all the petri dishes! So cool! /nerdery
Francis Crick doodle, Wellcome Trust

This is the first sketch of the DNA double helix, drawn by Francis Crick. Read the article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4263611.stm



ohscience: Fern sorus at 400x. Dark field microscopy, taken by me last spring. (submitted by burbles)


vagina cells
ohscience: vagina cells




ohscience:

grape


ohscience: grape
I found these images worth musing on... as both scientific subjects and visual possibilities... the wood cells of holly reminded me of knitting ... no wonder those pursuing Biomimicry are fascinated with nature...  really how can one not be! 

Our view of reality has shifted profoundly with each passing year... and yet how curious  it resembles at times the knowledge systems of the indigenous peoples of this earth. Knowledge is endless... all we can really do with anysurefootedness is stay open and be curious!


I'll leave you with this  brilliant ( I think) quote from Ronnie at Art & Life blog.

“In Egypt, libraries were called the soul’s remedy treasure because, in there, it was possible to cure the ignorance, the most dangerous of all diseases and the source of all others.”

J. B. Bossuet
(via bookron)


Biomimicry or biomimetics is the examination of nature, its models, systems, processes, and elements to emulate or take inspiration from in order to solve human problems. The term biomimicry and biomimetics come from the Greek words bios, meaning life, and mimesis, meaning to imitate. Other terms often used are bionicsbio-inspiration, and biognosis.



History

Humans have always looked to nature for inspiration to solve problems. One of the early examples of biomimicry was the study of birds to enable human flight. Although never successful in creating a "flying machine", Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519) was a keen observer of the anatomy and flight of birds, and made numerous notes and sketches on his observations as well as sketches of various "flying machines".[1] The Wright Brothers, who finally did succeed in creating and flying the first airplane in 1903, also derived inspiration for their airplane from observations of pigeons in flight.[2] To read more...click on title above.


5 comments:

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Oh I think I definitely share your passion for microbiology and all things seeds and seedheads and cells. I love this blog Sophie. So very inspiring. I would one day love to concentrate on a whole textile project dedicated to this subject. Perhaps I shall keep the whole of next year to do just that!
Watch this space!

Best wishes and thank you for posting all this lovely inspiration x

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Carolyn,
thank you ... do let me know if you go ahead with this.... its such a rich field for exploration!
Its delightful to share with anyone of similar passion for this engaging and extraordinary world!
S x

Anonymous said...

All of the images are absolutely delish. Thank you for the inspiration!

Stephie said...

Wow I love this blog! It has given me so much inspiration for my project. I am now following you
Stephie from http://stephiestreasuretrove.blogspot.com/

Sophie Munns said...

Thanks Mary...

and thanks Stephy..

glad you found your way over here! Wonderful images from a whole variety of sources!
Good creating!
S

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...