Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day One at the Eden Project

If you pop over and read my other blog it gives a brief outline of my trip to the UK so far.

Presently in Cornwall I have the week on site at the Eden Project to take in this amazing project.

I took so many photos today... but there is a limit to what I can download tonight sitting in the bar of the hotel I'm staying at next to an old harbour in Charlestown... not too far from the EP.

So...I have just skimmed through and resized these photos... Eden Project is even more impressive than I imagined it to be. 



Really I should have taken a shot of what is there now ... from a distance... but my day was spent touring the site with someone from the creative team responsible for the way the Project is presented to the public in terms of artistic/cultural interpretations. Now I have a good idea of what the week offers ... people to meet ...places to investigate.



This is from the Tropical Biodome... I spent quite some ime walking through this amazing space.





One place that was quite a focal point was the new bakery.... the site of the weeks Cornwall Food Festival. There were demos and talks happening.





I was blown away by the size of the space and the fact the bakers work at very long wooden tables at one end of the room...


The other end of the room is where food is available.











Painting with food colours... inks made from beetroot, spirulina, turmeric, chilli and such.


I spent the late afternoon in the Library in the Foundation building.... browsing through all the titles and wishing there was time for reading!



















Its very late... I have many more photos...but this at least is an introduction. Stay tuned for more on this place.

12 comments:

Heavens2Betsy said...

This is a really inspiring post. I was in Fowey a couple of years ago and can't believe now that I didn't make it to the Eden Project. Look forward to seeing more of your trip. penny

roz said...

what is that....
you find a bakery there
and a major sponsors for you is a bakery in Brisbane... ?
looks like a BIG week ahead for you

roz said...

wow...
a bakery there
and a bakery as sponsor here in Brisbane...?
so much to explore , looks like a big week ahead for you !

Shell said...

Oh WOW!!! This looks amazing...the gardens, the food, just WOW. Glad that you are having an amazing time. :)

Elaine said...

Sophie, your photos are beautiful. I am so excited for you and the experiences that you will have while there. I am so looking forward to reading about your trip and learning more.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Of course my weakness is bread and butter so I adore the photos of the the loaves. And the cake too! What really caught my eye was painting where the food color inks. So vibrant. That would be a wonderful kids project. Keep going!

Sophie Munns said...

Great to hear from you all!
Resting one's tired feet in the mid afternoon after walking the grounds for the 2nd day. So much to see...
Theres' a wonderful nursery here but I won't be purchasing plants or seeds to take with!
Just met someone from Sth Africa at lunch so we are off to the place where seeds are propagated... better get moving.
Ciao,
Sophie

Carole Reid said...

Wow, this is so amazing and brings me such hope! How exciting for you to be there and to see and do so much. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Unknown said...

thanjk you for this amazing post!!inspiring is just too small a word for what is Eden!

ronnie said...

fantastic stuff! looking forward to more reports (that bakery is a revelation!)

Velma Bolyard said...

this place is new to me, i can't wait to see more. and the colors (paints) are wonderful. oh, they're colours, right?!

Sophie Munns said...

thanks Carol and Karen,

my mind is having trouble taking in the enormity of this project... the fact it ever got off the plans and has been realised at all.
What kind of people can drive such a thing.
S

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...